Wonton Soup: Ring in the Chinese New Year with this flavorful traditional soup!
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 15 mins | Servings: 50 wontons
Ingredients for Wontons
50 – 60 wonton wrappers
- 7 oz lean ground pork
- 7 oz peeled prawns / shrimp , roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger , finely grated (1.5” piece)
- 2 shallots / green onions , finely chopped (5 tbsp)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine (Shaoxing wine)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
Ingredients for BROTH (FOR 2 SERVINGS)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- ½” piece of ginger, sliced (optional, but recommended)
- 1½ tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp sugar (any)
- 1½ tbsp chinese cooking wine
- ¼ – ½ tsp sesame oil
Ingredients TO SERVE
- Shallots / scallions , finely chopped
- Bok choy , quartered (optional)
- 1.5 – 1.75 oz dried egg noodles per person, (optional)
Make WONTON filling:
Place Filling ingredients in a bowl. Use a potato masher to mash until fairly smooth – about 20 mashes. Don’t turn the prawn into a complete paste, small chunks are good.
Lay Wontons on work surface. Use 2 teaspoons to put the Filling on the wontons. Work in batches of 5 if starting out, up to 15 or 20 if confident. Brush 2 edges with water. Fold to seal, pressing out air. Brush water on one corner and bring corners together, pressing to seal.
Place wrapped wontons into a container with a lid as you work (so they don’t dry out).
COOKING or FREEZING WONTONS:
To cook: bring a large pot of water to boil. Place wontons in water and cook for 4 minutes or until they float. Remove with slotted spoon straight into serving bowls. Ladle over broth.
To freeze: Freeze uncooked in airtight containers. Cook from frozen for 6 to 8 minutes.
Place Broth ingredients in a saucepan over high heat. Add white ends of scallions/shallots if leftover from Wonton filling.
Place lid on, bring to simmer then reduce to medium high and simmer for 5 – 10 minutes to allow the flavors to infuse. Pick garlic and ginger out before using.
If using vegetables, blanch in the soup broth and place in serving bowl.
Prepare noodles according to packet directions (if using noodles).
Place in serving bowl with cooked wontons and blanched vegetables.
Ladle over soup. Serve!
Hearty Chili with Sweet Cornbread
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 2-3 Hours | Servings: 10
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb Italian sausage of your choice
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves minced
- 30 oz kidney beans rinsed well and drained (2 15 oz cans)
- 15 oz pinto beans rinsed well and drained (1 can)
- 29 oz diced tomatoes use the entire can, juice and all
- 3 oz tomato paste
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp brown or granulated sugar
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- Brown the ground beef and sausage in a large stockpot over medium heat until mostly cooked through. A little pink is fine. Drain fat from the meat.
Add the diced onion, bell pepper, and garlic and stir to combine with meat. Cook over medium heat until onion is translucent.
- Add the kidney and pinto beans, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, beef broth and hot sauce.
- Next add the seasonings (chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne, salt, pepper and sugar).
- Pour tomato sauce over the top and stir to combine all.
- Place the lid on the pot and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours or on high for 2 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with desired toppings such as shredded cheese, sour cream, or green onions.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray or lightly grease a 9 inch round cake pan.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- Stir in egg, milk and vegetable oil until well combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Allow cornbread to set for 5 minutes before cutting.
- Serve with your favorite chili or soup recipe!