by Kim Freigo
This month we’re featuring Aroma Cafe and Bakery as our go-to place for a sweet treat. The apple fritters are famous among in-the-know locals, and the cinnamon bread is like eating the inner-swirl of a cinnamon roll in each bite, so when owner Kim Freigo offered us her grandmother’s banana bread recipe, we didn’t hesitate to cry, “Yes, please!”
This is the kind of recipe a grandmother would pass down, too. There aren’t any fancy ingredients. It’s simple and true, the way banana bread should be.
Bake it for someone you love this month, including yourself.
Yield: 1 Loaf
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 ½ cups bananas
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time. Add vanilla.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add flour mixture to butter and sugar, alternating with bananas and buttermilk.
- Pour into loaf pan (lightly buttered and floured).
- Bake for 90 minutes, until the top is golden and bread is set.
- Variations: add chocolate chips and/or walnuts