Before you head out this summer on another cross-country adventure or day hike in a nearby state park, pack up this simple, healthy snack to keep you fueled for hours of summer fun. Many thanks to Laura Buxenbaum, Assistant Director of Food and Nutrition Outreach for The Dairy Alliance for giving us not only great tips on healthy eating this summer but another winning recipe to add to our Cooking Simple repertoire.
Happy trails and healthy snacking…
Road Trip Trail Mix
This sweet and salty snack mix is ideal for a healthy snack because of the added protein from the cheese cubes. You can make the snack mix ahead and stir in the cheese just before serving.
- 2 cups whole grain check square cereal such as Whole Grain Chex
- 2 cups honey-sweetened oat cereal such as Honey Nut Cheerios
- 2 1/2 oz pretzel sticks about 3 cups
- 1/2 cup sunflower seed kernels
- 1 1/2 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or dried cherries
- 8 oz reduced-fat Mozzarella and Cheddar cheese cubes
- Mix cereals, pretzel sticks and sunflower seed kernels in a large bowl; set aside.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat; stir in honey, oil and sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in cinnamon and mix well. Pour over cereal mixture in bowl, stirring until evenly coated.
- Spread into a baking pan and bake at 325˚ for 20 minutes, stirring after 10 minutes (be careful not to overcook). Spread on waxed paper or aluminum foil; cool completely.
- Toss with dried cranberries; store in an airtight container until ready to serve. Toss in cheese cubes just before serving.